DFW Communications Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

APWH Syllabus

Go down

APWH Syllabus Empty APWH Syllabus

Post by sigdor3 Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:00 am

Course Overview:

This course will explore how different world civilizations developed and interacted with each other over the centuries. It will also compare and contrast these civilizations similarities, differences, and unique evolutions through the different periods of world history. The course will follow a traditional timeline and as the narrative unfolds, the course will highlight the emerging themes of AP World History that characterize the evolution and interaction of world civilizations. In this way, students will learn to organize the past both chronologically and thematically. This integration of chronology and theme is crucial and without it the students’ education and ability to perform well on the AP exam is seriously compromised.

The proper study of history and successful performance on the AP World History exam requires that students learn historical analysis and how to write clearly. A mastery of several important skills will empower students to think critically about the past and write dynamic, sophisticated essays that eruditely address historical complexity.

To this end, the course will proceed chronologically and incorporate the major themes of AP World History.

Reading List:

·      Princeton Review's AP World History Exam 2014 edition.

·      Stearns, Peter. World Civilizations: The Global Experience 6th Edition, 2010

·      Schirokauer, Conrad. A Brief History of Chinese and Japanese Civilization (New copies of this book are very expensive. A used copy will work out just great.)

·       Strunk and White, The Elements of Style 4th edition

·      Hillsdale College. Western Heritage Reader

- Sophocles The Three Theban Plays: Antigone, Oedipus the King, Oedipus at Colonus Penguin Classics.

Note: feel free to buy used copies. Personally, I like clean texts, but I will leave that to your discretion. You should have all the books by the start of the class, but put special emphasis on the Sophocles text as it will be due the second week of class.

Student Assignments:

Students will be expected to complete numerous assignments every week including:

- Biweekly essay assignments (1200-1500 words)
- Weekly reading assignments
- Weekly pop quizzes
- Weekly posting requirements (5 posts of at least five lines a week)
- Monthly in class practice exams

Grading:

Each student will receive a grade from the teacher at the end of the year based on the following formula: quizzes (10%), Class Participation/Attendance (10%), Forum posts (10%), AP Exam score (20%), Essays and other written work (50%).

100-91: A
90 - 81: B
80 - 71: C
70 - 61: D

Finally:

Last year I had some great students. It wasn't because their work was brilliant from the start, but because they worked hard to improve and turned their work in on time. I have very little patience for students failing to turn assignments in on time. I show up prepared to teach, you show up with your work turned in and your readings done. It's that simple and it's how college will go.

With that word of warning, we're going to have a great year. I look forward to working with all of you!!

sigdor3
Admin

Back to top Go down