DFW Communications Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Class Assignment

Go down

First Class Assignment Empty First Class Assignment

Post by sigdor3 Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:57 am

Students,

Plato says the beginning is the most important part. There's been some stumbling. Let's get on it!

I've assigned a play by Sophocles for the first day of class. You may find this odd (it's a history class, right?!) but the play brings up some perennial questions (that is, found throughout history) about justice, the divine law, the proper and improper exercise of authority, the relationship of individual to community, of family to community, and the complexity of life. Beware easy answers in this play—beware of obvious good guys and bad guys. Sophocles is a master of presenting conflicting positions and showing the validity of each without withholding judgment.

So a couple of questions to ask yourself:

What are the conflicting interpretations of justice found in the play? This question can't be answered in the abstract, so be sure to consider the respective characters particular situation as they assert and defend their position. What is the role of the state in society and how does devotion to the gods at times conflict with the survival of the state? What is the relation between family and state? How can the liberties and authority of each (note, I said each!) conflict with the other?

These questions are just a starting point, but I'd like you to put forth some answers to each question by citing particular sections of text (quote it!) and then giving an explanation of what the text means. This won't necessarily be easy, but you'll get the hang of it with practice.

One last word, as you read, you should take notes. Certain passages are more important than others based on my questions above. Underline, scribble, circle, and write your thoughts in the margins. Make connections between different sections of the play (you will often see in my books on page 23, lets say, a reference to page 86 where a similar theme is picked back up again).

Alright, there you are.

If you have any questions, drop me a line here on the forum so that everyone can benefit.

sigdor3
Admin

Back to top Go down