DFW Communications Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

October Assignments (last two weeks forthcoming)

2 posters

Go down

October Assignments (last two weeks forthcoming) Empty October Assignments (last two weeks forthcoming)

Post by sigdor3 Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:54 am

October 7th

Readings:

The Odyssey Books I-IV.

Postings:

As discussed in class, I would like you to apply the questions I outlined for Antigone to the characters as you read along (questions restated below). I would like you to choose ONE of the characters from the first four books to analyze and make a post on (Telemachus would be an excellent choice) and this will require you to dig deeper than the Antigone analysis where I had you do brief analysis on more than one character. With that said, this does not absolve you of the need to consider the other characters if they inform one's understanding of the character you choose.

The questions:
What does the character want? (Think in very basic terms: e.g. what action do they want or not want to take. This may be complex, though, with multiple conflicting motives.)Why does the character want said thing? How does that desire conflict with others? How does the conflict of desires transform the character? Who or what things lead to the transformation of the character (similar questions to the lsat, but slightly different).

Now, a word of warning here. For Antigone you all answered each of the questions, but mainly gave one answer to each question. Be sure to note any complexity that arises in the text. What the character wants, for instance, is not necessarily a single thing. Sometimes there is a multitude of things, and sometimes those things are in conflict with one another.

To the end of addressing these questions, be sure to cite actual sections of the text as the basis for your analysis. You should be able to find a piece of text for each of the above questions and then show us (interpret) how said text answers said question.

October 14th

Readings: Odyssey V-IX, Plato "The Republic" excerpt (go check out the google drive "Assignment" folder for reading titled "PlatoReading".

Paper:

We are going to have a little fun with this.

First, as with Lewis and Calvino, outline Plato's argument regarding what is and is not appropriate in literature and why. This may seem easy, but it's not necessarily based on word limits, which prevent you merely from copying down every point. What is the gist of his argument? Also, beware, I am not asking you to argue with Plato (yet), merely articulating his argument. We want to avoid strawmen, and the best way to do that, is be sure we first understand what is going on before we start asking ourselves whether we agree or disagree.
Second, choose a film or story you enjoy and write a critique of certain aspects of it based on Plato's position. Third, develop a counterargument to Plato.

A draft is due next week in class. Like the last paper, we will do a paper exchange.

Postings:

1. I would like you to make two postings on the Odyssey reading. Avoid plot summary like the plague, but I would like you to highlight a key passage for each passage and give us an interpretation. What is going on? What is being done? Why is it being done? What are the dynamics? Does the passage tell us anything about human nature? Does it tell us, or rather, show us anything about truth (what is), goodness (what is moral), or beauty (what is aesthetically wonderful) about the world?

2. I would like you to make one posting seeking to answer the following question: why hasn't Homer introduced Odysseus to us?

sigdor3
Admin

Back to top Go down

October Assignments (last two weeks forthcoming) Empty Re: October Assignments (last two weeks forthcoming)

Post by AbigailM Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi Mr. Petersen,

Just wondering, for the key passages you want us to post, can those be from what we read last week? Or can they only be from books V-IX?

Thanks and God bless,
Abigail

AbigailM

Back to top Go down

October Assignments (last two weeks forthcoming) Empty Re: October Assignments (last two weeks forthcoming)

Post by sigdor3 Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:54 am

Whichever.

sigdor3
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down