DFW Communications Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

November Assignments

Go down

November Assignments Empty November Assignments

Post by sigdor3 Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:50 am

November 3rd:

We've gotten a little behind. I don't think I was ever in a college course where that wasn't the case. This week is the start of a two week writing/research assignment. It's going to be a little intense, but it will get us caught up. Our focus will mainly be on two essays and readings needed to accomplish these writings. Next week we will go over and review the material to make sure we have things figured out. Ideally we get into the dark ages.

The rest of the assignments will be filled out tomorrow.

Take home exam paper: Compare and contrast the collapse of the Roman Republic (not empire!!!) to the collapse of the Han dynasty in China. This should be approximately 1200-1500 words.

Resources: 1) Rome slides. 2) In the Resources folder in a subfolder called Articles I've posted a paper I wrote in college that will give you an idea of what a college level research paper looks like while also providing some important insights in the collapse of the Roman Republic, in particular the role transformations in the military played. 3) Check your textbook. 4) Wikipedia (I'm not kidding, their Rome stuff is very good). Part of your grade will be assessed based on the variety of your citations.

Christianity paper: I've posted a powerpoint on early Christianity to outline the subject. Using at least two other resources of your choosing, I would like you to write a companion piece to the religion paper you've already written. I will give you two weeks for this but you should familiarize yourself with the slides by the time we start the lesson next week. I'm also adding a wrinkle to this: I would like you to spend two paragraphs comparing and contrasting the two religions. Should come out to 1500-1800 words including the wrinkle.

OPVL: On the forum post an OPVL of Res Gestae. Keep in mind the context for this piece, namely, the collapse of the Republic and the emergence of a new order. We will begin class discussing this piece. Before moving onto the dark ages.

November 10th:

Reading: Stearns chp. 12-13. To clarify, these chapters should cover Japan and the Song and Tang dynasties of China.

Study Guide: Your study guides thus far have been a little on the light side. Lets work on improving the level of detail. One thing of particular importance I'd like you to keep an eye on is significance. For instance, if you're going to list technologies that develop during the Song and Tang dynasties be sure to explain how they change or reinforce Chinese society. What do these technologies do?

Christianity paper: due.

November 17th:

Writing/Research: I would like you do an important research assignment for the next two weeks on the Silk Road and trade in the Indian ocean 700 BCE to 1400CE. I say important because inter-regional interactions through trade is a common question and theme in the course that we are finally getting round to exploring in some more detail. This week I'd like you to create study guides for both addressing when, why, who, where, and how questions. Also, keep in mind changes that occur.

Don't get lost in specific dates, regimes, or rulers. Instead keep the big picture in mind. This is a trick that we will keep working on as we move forward in the class. You are looking for the general contour of these trade routes and why they were important at the time. This will be a two week assignment.

For the first week, just put together a study guide compiling information from wherever you can find it (textbook, wikipedia, videos [see below]). During class next week we will look over these guides, compare notes, and I will give you some direction.

Crash Course World History: This is a very fun, very too the point series of videos that should help you prepare for future assignments and review past assignments. There are two videos (at least) that you will find helpful for your next assignment. Go check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yocja_N5s1I&list=PLBDA2E52FB1EF80C9

November 24th:

Reading: Stearns, Chapter 14. Pay special attention to why the Mongols come to power, how they defeat their enemies, how they change and are changed by those they conqueror, and ultimately why their empire does not last.

Paper: Answer one of the following essay questions from past exams using the study guide you put together last week. Please limit your answer to five paragraphs with short introductions and conclusions.

(COM/CON) Compare and contrast the effects of inter-regional trading systems on TWO of the following regions during the period 8000 B.C.E. – 600 C.E.
Mesopotamia, India, China, MesoAmerica and Andean South America, Classical Mediterranean World

(C/COT) Analyze continuities and changes in patterns of interaction along the Silk Roads from 200 B.C.E. to 1450 C.E. (2009)

sigdor3
Admin

Back to top Go down