DFW Communications Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paper Directions: From January 28th Email

Go down

Paper Directions: From January 28th Email Empty Paper Directions: From January 28th Email

Post by sigdor3 Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:28 am

When you get a prompt there are four good approaches to take in making your argument: no, qualified, qualified yes, yes. There is also the manner of tone: negative or positive. As rule, if you go with the "yes" "no" thesis, you will often fall into the trap of not considering counterpoints to your argument. Ergo, I would recommend you run with the middle two options: qualified no, qualified yes. (You will note I have given you no "neutral" option. Those sort of arguments won't get you very far because they lack courage and the determination to argue a point—vacillation is no good here. Pick a side and go with it.) In terms of organization it would look something like this.

I. Introduction (qualified yes thesis)
II. Yes 1
III. Yes 2
IV. Addressing counterpoints
V. Conclusion

A nice trick for a qualified yes or no thesis is to begin it with "while" or "although". You need not do this, but it can help you address counterpoints right from the start.

Finally, the manner of tone. In these papers you can most certainly say "no" but let a higher "yes" drive your argument. For example, you might argue against the use of certain technologies in the classroom but frame the argument in terms of a higher good that can be achieved without the technology; or a higher good that's harmed by relying on technology. The point here is that you don't want to be a "no monster". This is cranky and often unpersuasive, and not just for your left of center readers, but for anyone.

Now, how does this apply to your current paper. The prompt isn't asking you a direct "yes" "no" sort of question. But every thesis in a persuasive paper leans either to the yes or the no.

sigdor3
Admin

Back to top Go down