DFW Communications Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

November Assignments

4 posters

Go down

November Assignments Empty November Assignments

Post by sigdor3 Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:41 am

November 4th

Readings: Finish the Odyssey; Pericles' Funeral Oration (http://www.fordham.edu/Halsall/ancient/pericles-funeralspeech.asp)
Writing: Please write a brief analysis of Pericles Funeral Oration in the forum. I would like you to select ONE rhetorical technique he uses to persuade his audience. We shall spend part of class picking this text apart per question 2 guidelines for the AP exam.

Exam: will be given out right after class.

November 11th

Exam: Will be due in class.

Reading: Crime and Punishment, the forward and part 1.

Paper:

As with the last paper, I will give you four weeks to work on this assignment.

Choose one novel that was later adapted into a film and consider the following questions: in what ways does the film follow the plot and style of the book? Are there any significant differences between the film and the movie? Why do you think these changes were made? How do these changes affect the story? How many years passed between when the film was made, and the original publish date of the book? If a significant amount of time passed, do changes in the film from the book reflect changing views on the subject matter? Do you think the movie is better than the book? If so, why? If not, why?

As we saw in our Plato reading, we must consider not only the plot of the story but also how the author unfolds the plot. In this case, how the director/writer adapts the story to the big screen adds an extra level of complexity.

Novel suggestions:
To Kill a Mockingbird
Charlotte's Web
Pride & Prejudice
The Chronicles of Narnia
Jane Eyre
The Princess Bride
Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
The Hunger Games
Huckleberry Finn
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Sense and Sensibility
The Great Gatsby
The Call of the Wild

By the 11th, you must have a book and film selected and posted in your folders.

November 18th

Reading: Crime and Punishment, part 2.

Speed Paper:

For the rest of the year, on a biweekly basis, I will be assigning you one of the past exam prompts. While they will be timed at a later date, the first couple of times we do these I will give you the week. The objective here is not to spend hours and hours, but to come up with an answer, an outline, examples and arguments, and write out a five paragraph essay over the course of the week. You will have to do it in 40 minutes on the exam, a week is no big thing.

Please do question two from the following prompt (it should look familiar): http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap14_frq_english_language.pdf

Paper: Instead of doing the paper exchange right away, I'd like you all to send me an outline of what you're working on. In particular I'd like to see a working thesis and topic sentences. In other words, the gist of your argument. This will allow me to give you a little extra feedback at the beginning of the process so you get off on the right foot. By the 18th I would like this posted in your folders.

November 25th

Reading: Crime and Punishment, part 3; C.S. Lewis “On the Humanitarian Theory of Punishment” found at www.angelfire.com/pro/lewiscs/humanitarian.html.

Paper: Paper exchange! These should be posted in your folders.

sigdor3
Admin

Back to top Go down

November Assignments Empty Re: November Assignments

Post by Konrad Losiak Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:43 pm

Do you want handwritten essays for the Speed Paper (Nov 18) assignment? Or should we type them.
Konrad Losiak
Konrad Losiak

Back to top Go down

Post by AbigailM Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi Mr. Petersen,

The link you have for C.S. Lewis' "On the Humanitarian Theory of Punishment" just leads to a 404 error page, at least for me. Do you have another link we could use?

Thanks and God bless,
Abigail

AbigailM

Back to top Go down

Post by DurinTheDurian Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:08 pm

DurinTheDurian
DurinTheDurian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content